Crested Butte is a popular ski resort located in Colorado that attracts skiers and snowboarders worldwide. The resort is known for its challenging terrain, stunning mountain views, and laid-back atmosphere. With over 1,500 acres of skiable terrain, Crested Butte offers a variety of runs for all skill levels, from beginner to expert. The resort also boasts some of the best backcountry skiing in the country, with plenty of opportunities for off-piste adventures.
In addition to skiing and snowboarding, Crested Butte offers a range of other winter activities, including snowshoeing, ice skating, and sleigh rides. The town itself is also worth exploring, with its charming Victorian architecture, lively nightlife, and excellent dining options.
Crested Butte is a must-visit destination for anyone looking for a true Colorado ski experience. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a first-time skier, you’re sure to find something to love at this world-class resort.
Need to know
Location and Access
Crested Butte is a town located in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. It can be accessed by car via Highway 135 or by flying into the Gunnison-Crested Butte Regional Airport, which is about 30 minutes away.
- Drive time from the nearest airport (Gunnison-Crested Butte Regional Airport): 30 minutes
- Public transport links from the nearest city (Gunnison): Bus service available
- Drive time from the second closest airport (Aspen-Pitkin County Airport): 3 hours
About the Skiing
Crested Butte is one of the better-known destinations for skiing in Colorado , offering a variety of terrain for all skill levels. The resort boasts stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys, making it a picturesque location for winter sports enthusiasts.
Some of the skiing highlights at Crested Butte include:
– The resort’s famous extreme terrain, which includes steep chutes and cliffs for advanced skiers and snowboarders
– A variety of groomed runs for intermediate and beginner skiers, including long cruisers and gentle slopes
– The resort’s terrain parks, which feature jumps, rails, and other features for freestyle skiers and snowboarders
– The opportunity to ski or ride in the backcountry, with guided tours available for those looking to explore beyond the resort’s boundaries
– Night skiing, which allows visitors to hit the slopes after dark and enjoy a unique skiing experience.
Crested Butte by Numbers
- Heights point: 12,162 feet (3,707 meters)
- Resort level height: 9,375 feet (2,858 meters)
- Vert distance: 2,787 feet (849 meters)
- Total number of ski trails and combined distance: 121 trails covering 1,547 acres
- Percentage of beginner trails: 26%
- Percentage of intermediate trails: 57%
- Percentage of expert trails: 17%
At Crested Butte, the lift ticket options and prices for a single day are as follows:
– Adult (ages 18-64): $139
– Child (ages 7-17): $89
– Senior (ages 65+): $119
– Children 6 and under ski for free
Please note that prices may vary depending on the time of year and any promotions or discounts that may be available. It’s always a good idea to check the official Crested Butte website for the most up-to-date information on lift ticket prices and options.
There are various accommodation options in Crested Butte, including hotels, lodges, vacation rentals, and bed and breakfasts. Some popular choices include the Elevation Hotel and Spa, the Lodge at Mountaineer Square, the Grand Lodge Crested Butte, and the Nordic Inn. Additionally, there are many vacation rental options available through websites such as Airbnb and VRBO.
Without additional information about the specific area and ski resorts being compared, it is difficult to provide a comprehensive answer. However, Crested Butte is generally considered a mid-range ski resort in terms of cost compared to other resorts in Colorado. It may be more affordable than some of the high-end resorts like Vail or Aspen, but more expensive than smaller, local ski areas. Researching and comparing prices and amenities of multiple ski resorts in the area is recommended to determine the best value for your budget and preferences.
Dining and Après-Ski
Crested Butte offers a variety of dining options, ranging from casual cafes to upscale restaurants. For breakfast, locals and visitors enjoy the Secret Stash, which serves delicious breakfast pizzas and other creative dishes. For lunch, the Brick Oven Pizzeria and Pub is a popular spot for pizza and sandwiches. For dinner, the Wooden Nickel is a local favorite for its steak and seafood dishes, while Soupçon offers a more upscale dining experience with a focus on French cuisine.
In terms of bars and apres ski options, Crested Butte has a lively nightlife scene. The Brick Oven Pizzeria and Pub is a popular spot for apres ski drinks, as is the Avalanche Bar and Grill. The Eldo Brewery and Taproom is a great spot for craft beer enthusiasts, while the Dogwood Cocktail Cabin offers creative cocktails in a cozy atmosphere. For live music, the Talk of the Town is a popular spot for local bands and DJs. Overall, Crested Butte offers a diverse range of dining and nightlife options to suit any taste or budget.
1. Secret Stash – This funky pizzeria serves up creative pies with unique toppings like mac and cheese, pulled pork, and even peanut butter and jelly.
2. Soupçon – This intimate French restaurant offers a prix fixe menu with dishes like escargot, duck confit, and crème brûlée.
3. The Sunflower – This cozy café serves up breakfast and lunch with a focus on fresh, local ingredients. Don’t miss the homemade granola or the green chili breakfast burrito.
4. Brick Oven Pizzeria and Pub – This family-friendly spot serves up wood-fired pizzas, salads, and sandwiches. They also have a great selection of local beers on tap.
5. Slogar – This historic restaurant has been serving up fried chicken and sides since 1915. The family-style meals come with all-you-can-eat sides like mashed potatoes, gravy, and coleslaw.
6. Django’s – This upscale restaurant serves up modern American cuisine with a focus on seasonal ingredients. The menu changes frequently, but past dishes have included elk loin, lamb chops, and roasted beet salad.
7. The Last Steep – This laid-back bar and grill is a local favorite for après-ski drinks and pub fare like burgers, wings, and nachos.
8. Ginger Cafe – This Asian fusion restaurant serves up dishes like pad thai, sushi rolls, and Korean BBQ. They also have a great selection of sake and Asian beers.
9. Coal Creek Grill – This upscale restaurant serves up steak, seafood, and pasta dishes in a cozy, mountain lodge setting.
10. Teocalli Tamale – This casual spot serves up homemade tamales with a variety of fillings like green chili pork, chicken mole, and vegetarian black bean. They also have a great selection of margaritas and Mexican beers.
– The town has a vibrant arts and culture scene, with numerous galleries, music venues, and festivals throughout the year.
– Crested Butte is also home to a variety of restaurants and shops, ranging from casual cafes to upscale dining and boutique shopping.
– The surrounding area offers stunning natural beauty, including wildflower-filled meadows, towering peaks, and crystal-clear streams and lakes.
– Visitors can also explore historic sites such as the Crested Butte Mountain Heritage Museum and the Gothic townsite, which was once a thriving mining community.
Planning Your Trip
Crested Butte is a ski resort located in Gunnison County, Colorado. It is known for its challenging terrain and laid-back atmosphere. The resort offers a variety of terrain for skiers and snowboarders, including steep runs and backcountry skiing. Crested Butte also has a Nordic center for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. Visitors can enjoy hiking, mountain biking, and fishing in the summer. Crested Butte has a variety of dining and lodging options, including historic hotels and cozy cabins.
The best time of year to go skiing in Crested Butte is typically from late November to early April. This is when the ski resort is open and there is usually plenty of snow on the slopes. However, the exact timing can vary depending on weather conditions and snowfall, so it’s always a good idea to check the resort’s website for the latest information before planning your trip.
Wrapping up, if you are considering a ski trip to Crested Butte, you won’t be disappointed. This ski resort offers a unique experience with its charming town, diverse terrain, and friendly locals. Whether you are a beginner or an expert skier, there is something for everyone at Crested Butte. You will find your perfect match from the challenging double black diamond runs to the gentle beginner slopes. The resort also offers a variety of off-slope activities, including snowshoeing, ice skating, and dog sledding. With its stunning scenery and welcoming atmosphere, Crested Butte is a must-visit destination for any ski enthusiast.