Kendall Mountain Ski Area is one of the smaller Colorado ski resorts. It is known for its stunning views of the San Juan Mountains and its family-friendly atmosphere. The resort offers a variety of ski runs for all skill levels, from beginner to advanced, and has a ski school for those who want to improve their skills.
Need to know
In addition to skiing, visitors can also enjoy snowboarding, snowshoeing, and tubing. The resort has a cozy lodge with a fireplace, where visitors can warm up and enjoy a hot drink or a meal. Kendall Mountain Ski Area is a great destination for families and groups of friends who want to enjoy a fun and relaxing winter vacation. With its beautiful scenery, friendly staff, and excellent facilities, it’s no wonder why this ski resort is a popular choice for skiers and snowboarders.
Location and Access
Kendall Mountain Ski Area is located in Silverton, Colorado. It can be accessed by car via US-550 or the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad during winter.
- Drive time from the nearest airport (Durango-La Plata County Airport): approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Public transport links from the nearest city (Silverton): none available, but there are shuttle services and taxi options
- Drive time from the second closest airport (Albuquerque International Sunport): approximately 4 hours and 30 minutes
About the Skiing
Kendall Mountain Ski Area offers skiing and snowboarding on a variety of terrain, including beginner, intermediate, and advanced runs. The views from the mountain are stunning, with panoramic vistas of the San Juan Mountains. Some of the skiing highlights at Kendall Mountain Ski Area include:
– The beginner-friendly Bunny Hill is perfect for those just starting out on skis or a snowboard.
– The intermediate runs offer a bit more challenge and excitement for those with some experience on the slopes.
– The advanced runs, which are steep and challenging, with plenty of opportunities for expert skiers and snowboarders to test their skills.
– The terrain park features jumps, rails, and other obstacles for freestyle skiers and snowboarders to show off their tricks.
– The ski school offers lessons for all ages and abilities, from first-timers to advanced skiers and snowboarders looking to improve their technique.
Kendall by Numbers
- Height point in ski area: 13,066 feet (3,983 meters)
- Resort level height: 9,280 feet (2,829 meters)
- Vert distance: 3,786 feet (1,154 meters)
- Total number of ski trails: 11
- Combined distance of ski trails: 16 miles
- Percentage of beginner trails: 30%
- Percentage of intermediate trails: 40%
- Percentage of expert trails: 30%
At Kendall Mountain Ski Area, the lift ticket options and prices for a single day are as follows:
– Adult (ages 18-64): $35
– Child (ages 6-17): $25
– Senior (ages 65+): $25
– Children 5 and under: Free
Please note that prices may vary depending on the day of the week and time of the season. It is always best to check the ski area’s website or call ahead for the most up-to-date pricing information.
Several accommodation options are near Kendall Mountain Ski Area, including hotels, motels, and vacation rentals. Some popular choices include the Grand Imperial Hotel, the Inn at Silvercreek, and the Pagosa Springs Resort.
Additionally, the area has several campgrounds and RV parks for those who prefer to stay closer to nature.
Dining and Après-Ski
Kendall Mountain Ski Area offers a variety of dining options for visitors. The main restaurant is the Kendall Cafe, which serves up classic American fare such as burgers, sandwiches, and salads. The cafe also offers a selection of beers and wines to enjoy with your meal.
For those looking for a quick bite, a snack bar in the base area serves hot dogs, nachos, and other grab-and-go items.
After a day on the slopes, visitors can head to the Kendall Mountain Bar for some apres ski fun. The bar offers a selection of beers, wines, cocktails, live music, and events throughout the season. There is also a cozy fireplace to warm up by and relax after a long day of skiing.
Overall, Kendall Mountain Ski Area offers a range of dining and apres ski options to suit any taste or budget.
As a small resort, Kendall does not have any on-site dining options, several restaurants and cafes are located in the nearby town of Silverton. Some popular options include the Handlebars Food & Saloon, the Avalanche Brewing Company, and the Brown Bear Cafe. Additionally, there are several grocery stores and markets in town where visitors can purchase food and supplies for their ski trip.
Wrapping up, if you are considering a ski trip to Kendall Mountain Ski Area, you won’t be disappointed. This charming resort offers a unique and authentic skiing experience that is perfect for families and beginners. With its affordable prices, friendly staff, and stunning views, Kendall Mountain Ski Area is a hidden gem that is worth exploring. Whether you are looking to hit the slopes, take a lesson, or simply enjoy the mountain scenery, this resort has something for everyone. So pack your bags, grab your skis, and get ready for an unforgettable ski adventure at Kendall Mountain Ski Area.