Sunlight Mountain Resort is a popular ski destination located in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. It is known for its family-friendly atmosphere and affordable prices, making it a great option for those looking for a budget-friendly ski vacation. The resort boasts 67 trails, ranging from beginner to expert, and 3 terrain parks, providing something for skiers and snowboarders of all levels.
One of the unique features of Sunlight Mountain Resort is its natural hot springs, which can be enjoyed after a long day on the slopes. The resort also offers other winter activities such as snowmobiling, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing.
In addition to its skiing and winter activities, Sunlight Mountain Resort is also known for its stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. The resort is situated on the edge of the White River National Forest, providing visitors with breathtaking scenery.
Overall, Sunlight Mountain Resort is a great option for those looking for a fun and affordable ski vacation with a family-friendly atmosphere and stunning views.
Need to know
Location and Access
Sunlight Mountain is accessible by car via Highway 82 or by shuttle service from the nearby town of Glenwood Springs.
- Drive time from the nearest airport (Eagle County Regional Airport): approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Public transport links from the nearest city (Glenwood Springs): bus service available from Glenwood Springs to Sunlight Mountain Resort
- Drive time from the second closest airport (Aspen/Pitkin County Airport): approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes
About the Skiing
Sunlight Mountain Resort is one of the lesser-known Colorado ski resorts. It offers skiing and snowboarding on a variety of terrain, including groomed runs, glades, and steep chutes. The resort boasts stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
Some skiing highlights at Sunlight Mountain Resort include:
– The Ute trail, a long, winding run that offers beautiful views of the valley below
– The East Ridge, a challenging run with steep pitches and tight turns
– The Sun King, a wide-open run that’s perfect for cruising
– The Rebel, a steep, narrow chute that’s not for the faint of heart
– The Primo, a long, winding run that’s great for intermediate skiers and snowboarders.
Sunlight by Numbers
- Height point: 9,895 feet (3,016 meters)
- Resort level height: 7,885 feet (2,404 meters)
- Vert distance: 2,010 feet (612 meters)
- Total number of ski trails and combined distance: 67 trails covering 680 acres
- Percentage of beginner trails: 20%
- Percentage of intermediate trails: 55%
- Percentage of expert trails: 25%
Sunlight Mountain Resort offers the following lift ticket options and prices for a single day:
– Adult (ages 18-64): $75
– Youth (ages 13-17): $65
– Child (ages 6-12): $45
– Senior (ages 65-79): $65
– Super Senior (ages 80+): $45
Please note that children 5 and under ski for free. Prices are subject to change and may vary depending on the day of the week and time of the season. It is recommended to check the resort’s website or contact them directly for the most up-to-date pricing information.
Sunlight Mountain Resort offers a variety of accommodation options, including cozy cabins, spacious condos, and comfortable hotel rooms. All accommodations are conveniently located near the ski slopes and offer stunning views of the surrounding mountains. Guests can choose from a range of amenities, including hot tubs, fireplaces, and fully equipped kitchens. Whether you’re planning a romantic getaway or a family vacation, Sunlight Mountain Resort has the perfect accommodation for you.
Sunlight Mountain Resort is generally considered to be one of the more affordable ski resorts in the area. While prices can vary depending on the time of year and specific packages or deals, Sunlight Mountain Resort typically offers lower lift ticket prices and more affordable lodging options compared to some of the larger, more well-known ski resorts in the region.
Dining and Après-Ski
Sunlight Mountain Resort offers a variety of dining options for visitors to enjoy. The main restaurant is the Sunlight Lodge, which serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The lodge features a cozy atmosphere with a fireplace and mountain views. The menu includes classic American fare such as burgers, sandwiches, and salads, as well as more upscale options like steak and seafood.
For a quick bite, visitors can stop by the Compass Cafe, which serves coffee, pastries, and grab-and-go items. The cafe also offers a selection of beer and wine.
After a day on the slopes, visitors can head to the Last Turn Lounge for apres ski drinks and snacks. The lounge features a full bar and a menu of appetizers and small plates. On weekends, the lounge often hosts live music and other events.
For a more upscale dining experience, visitors can make a reservation at the Sunlight Mountain Inn. The inn’s restaurant serves a prix fixe menu featuring locally sourced ingredients and creative dishes.
Overall, Sunlight Mountain Resort offers a range of dining options to suit every taste and budget. Whether visitors are looking for a quick snack or a leisurely dinner, they are sure to find something to satisfy their cravings.
– The Sunlight Mountain Grill offers a variety of delicious options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, including burgers, sandwiches, salads, and more.
– The Compass Mountain Grill is a great spot for après-ski drinks and snacks, with a cozy fireplace and stunning mountain views.
– The Sunlight Mountain Inn serves up hearty breakfasts and dinners, with a focus on locally sourced ingredients and classic American cuisine.
– The Sunlight Mountain Clubhouse is a popular spot for events and weddings, with a spacious dining room and outdoor patio overlooking the slopes.
Planning Your Trip
Sunlight Mountain Resort is a ski resort located in Garfield County, Colorado. It is known for its family-friendly atmosphere and affordable prices. The resort offers a variety of terrain for skiers and snowboarders, including beginner runs and challenging expert terrain. Sunlight Mountain Resort also has a terrain park for freestyle skiers and snowboarders. In the summer, visitors can enjoy hiking and mountain biking. Sunlight Mountain Resort has a lodge with dining options and a ski-in/ski-out hotel.
The best time of year to go skiing at Sunlight Mountain Resort is typically from December to March, when the snow conditions are optimal and the resort is fully operational. However, it is always best to check the resort’s website or contact them directly for the most up-to-date information on snow conditions and operating hours.
If you are considering a ski trip to Sunlight Mountain Resort, you won’t be disappointed. With its stunning views, varied terrain, and affordable prices, it’s a great option for skiers and snowboarders of all levels. The resort’s commitment to sustainability and community involvement is also commendable. Whether you’re looking for a family-friendly vacation or a challenging mountain experience, Sunlight has something for everyone. Don’t forget to check out the local restaurants and shops in nearby Glenwood Springs for a taste of Colorado culture. Overall, Sunlight Mountain Resort is a hidden gem that should definitely be on your ski destination list.