The Blackwater Canyon Trail is a hidden gem that offers hikers a breathtaking journey through the rugged beauty of Monongahela National Forest wilderness. This 10-mile trail winds its way through the stunning Blackwater Canyon, offering stunning views of the surrounding mountains, dense forests, and crystal-clear streams. Whether you’re an experienced hiker or a novice looking for a new adventure, the Blackwater Canyon Trail is a must-visit destination that promises to leave you in awe of the natural wonders of this region.
Need to know
Some of the the highlights of this trail are:
- The trail follows the scenic Blackwater River and offers stunning views of the canyon.
- The area is home to a diverse range of wildlife, including black bears, bobcats, and bald eagles.
- The trail passes through a variety of ecosystems, from dense forests to open meadows.
- Hikers can see unique rock formations and geological features, such as sandstone cliffs and shale outcroppings.
- The area is also popular for fishing, with the Blackwater River being home to trout and other species.
- The trail is accessible year-round, with different seasons offering their own unique experiences, such as fall foliage and winter snowscapes.
- The area has a rich cultural history, with evidence of Native American settlements and early European settlers.
- The trail offers opportunities for camping and other outdoor activities, such as mountain biking and horseback riding.
Total distance: 32km
Elevation gain: 382m
The Blackwater Canyon Trail is a great option for families who want a scenic and relatively easy hike. The trail is located in the Monongahela National Forest and follows the Blackwater River through a beautiful canyon. The trail is approximately 10 miles long and is mostly flat with a few gentle inclines. Families can enjoy stunning views of the river and surrounding forest, as well as opportunities for wildlife spotting. The trail is also popular for biking and horseback riding. Families should bring plenty of water and snacks, as well as sunscreen and bug spray. Overall, the Blackwater Canyon Trail is a great choice for families who want a leisurely hike with beautiful scenery.
Camping in the Blackwater Canyon Trail area is a great option for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. The best time of year to go camping in this area is during the summer months, from June to August, when the weather is warm and sunny. Visitors can expect temperatures to range from the mid-60s to the mid-80s during the day, with cooler temperatures at night. The area is known for its stunning scenery, including the Blackwater River and the surrounding mountains, making it a perfect spot for hiking, fishing, and other outdoor activities. With plenty of campsites available, visitors can enjoy a peaceful and relaxing getaway in the heart of nature.
1. Blackwater Falls State Park Campground – located within the state park, this campground offers 65 sites with electric and water hookups, as well as tent-only sites. It also has amenities such as showers, laundry facilities, and a playground.
2. Canaan Valley Resort State Park Campground – situated in a scenic valley, this campground has 34 sites with electric and water hookups, as well as tent-only sites. It also has amenities such as showers, laundry facilities, and a camp store.
3. Seneca Shadows Campground – located in the Monongahela National Forest, this campground offers 88 sites with electric and water hookups, as well as tent-only sites. It also has amenities such as showers, laundry facilities, and a camp store.
4. Blackwater Outdoor Adventures Campground – situated along the Blackwater River, this campground offers tent and RV sites, as well as cabins and yurts. It also has amenities such as showers, a camp store, and river access for fishing and kayaking.
5. Smoke Hole Resort Campground – located near the Smoke Hole Canyon, this campground offers tent and RV sites, as well as cabins and cottages. It also has amenities such as showers, a camp store, and river access for fishing and tubing.
In addition to hiking, there are many other ways to discover this beautiful wildness. If you are planning a trip to Blackwater Canyon Trail be sure to consider some of the following:
In addition to hiking, there are many other ways to discover this beautiful wildness. If you are planning a trip to Hoye Crest, be sure to consider some of the following:
- Mountain biking
- Wildlife viewing
- Bird watching
- Kayaking or canoeing on the Blackwater River
- Whitewater rafting on the Cheat River
- Rock climbing in nearby Seneca Rocks
Horseback riding on nearby trails
Snowshoeing or cross-country skiing in the winter months.
Blackwater Canyon Trail FAQs
Are dogs allowed? Yes, dogs need to be kept on a leash in the Blackwater Canyon Trail area.
Is the trail well signed? Some parts of the trail may be well signed, while others may have limited signage. It is recommended to bring a map or GPS device to ensure you stay on the correct path.