The Cheat Mountain Trail offers hikers a breathtaking journey through some of West Virginia’s most stunning landscapes. This 13-mile trail winds through dense forests, across babbling streams, and up to the summit of Cheat Mountain, providing hikers with panoramic views of the surrounding wilderness. Whether you’re an experienced hiker or a novice looking for a new adventure, the Cheat Mountain Trail is a must-see destination for anyone seeking to explore the natural beauty of the Appalachian Mountains.
Need to know
Some of the the highlights of this trail are:
- The trail is known for its stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
- Hikers may encounter a variety of wildlife along the trail, including black bears, deer, and wild turkeys.
- The trail passes through a diverse range of ecosystems, from dense forests to open meadows.
- The Cheat Mountain Trail is also home to a variety of plant species, including wildflowers, ferns, and mosses.
- The trail is popular among hikers, mountain bikers, and horseback riders.
- The trail is well-maintained and offers a range of difficulty levels, from easy to challenging.
Total distance: 3.8 miles (6.1km)
Elevation gain: 300ft (94m)
The Cheat Mountain Trail is a popular hiking trail located in the Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia. The trail is approximately 11 miles long and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. The trail is considered moderate to difficult in difficulty and is best suited for experienced hikers. Along the way, hikers can see a variety of wildlife and plant life, including black bears, deer, and wildflowers. The trail is also popular for mountain biking and horseback riding. Visitors can access the trail from several different trailheads, including the Bickle Knob Observation Tower and the Spruce Knob-Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area.
Camping is a great option in the Cheat Mountain Trail area, especially during the summer months. The weather is typically warm and sunny, making it perfect for outdoor activities like hiking, fishing, and swimming. The fall season is also a great time to camp in this area, as the foliage is stunning and the temperatures are mild. However, it’s important to note that the weather can be unpredictable, so it’s always a good idea to pack for all types of weather conditions. Overall, camping in the Cheat Mountain Trail area is a wonderful way to experience the beauty of nature and enjoy some much-needed relaxation.
1. Cheat Mountain Campground
2. Seneca Shadows Campground
3. Spruce Knob Lake Campground
4. Bear Heaven Campground
5. Horseshoe Recreation Area Campground
6. Stuart Recreation Area Campground
7. Cranberry Campground
8. Monongahela National Forest Campgrounds
9. Dolly Sods Wilderness Area Campgrounds
10. Blackwater Falls State Park Campground
In addition to hiking, there are many other ways to discover this beautiful wildness. If you are planning a trip to Cheat Mountain Trail be sure to consider some of the following:
In addition to hiking, there are many other ways to discover this beautiful wildness. If you are planning a trip to Cheat Mountain, be sure to consider some of the following:
- Mountain biking
- Horseback riding
- Wildlife viewing
- Cross-country skiing
- ATV riding
- Rock climbing
- Whitewater rafting
- Zip lining
- Bird watching
Cheat Mountain Trail FAQs
Are dogs allowed? Yes dogs are allowed and can be let off the leash
Is the trail well signed? Yes